Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sharpen Up

Luxurious or just quality-conscious? I've been invited to this party which got me thinking. There will be a jacuzzi and plenty of champagne, and I presume a lot of people with fat wallets. Somehow I don't see myself in that kind of setting, so I think I'll pass. But what exactly am I rejecting here? Let's isolate the entities.

Take the hot tub for instance: I wouldn't mind that. Not at all... Not the champagne either, even in combination with the previous. Money? Is that the problem then? Not really; I'd love to have some. So what's left is the setting then. A bunch of strangers talking about fast cars and ski resorts... (It could also have something to do with prospect of being in a swimsuit together with women looking like they stepped out of Vogue. But let's not go down that road...)

What is luxury? I guess most people think of luxury as the first explanation in dictionary.com; as "a material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity", like a Breitling. We can agree that luxury cost money, and it seems like a lot of people enjoy luxury simply because it shows the world they're rich. In a way I also love luxury, but more due to the qualities that usually goes with it. I am a snob sometimes, I can admit that, but not for the sake of it. I just love things that work, and a my old IKEA knives can't be compared to the Wüsthofs I want...

But talking about those dull knives, I have now at least bought me a new sharpener. Since the live one (cook/knife expert) isn't always around when I need him, I have to equip myself with tools that do the work for me. Like a Chef'sChoice Model 460 - the MultiEdge™ manual knife sharpener. Not sure if those IKEA things ever will be OK, but they're better than before anyway.

There are more tools I need as replacement for strong hands, and I was also promised company to the hardware store. If that doesn't happen, I'll go by myself - just saw on TV that there's a 20% discount on selected brands.

No comments: