Sunday, July 05, 2009

A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed...

I'm starting to see the end of it now. Just a few things left in the hallway, and the rest of the cleaning to do. Even the boxes in the cellar are sorted out, and I managed to get rid of four large bags! Two with rubbish, and two with assorted fabrics which I'll donate to the school. The main part of this moving business I've taken care of myself, but at one point I didn't think I'd make it through. Smaller things and boxes can be moved with a regular car, but what about larger furniture? I cried on the phone, and the next day the most dependable person I know was on my doorstep with his car and an open cargo trailer. Later that afternoon I felt so much better, and it's good to know that some people will always be there for you. Just needed to cry out a little! Or put it this way: I needed to ask for help. Doesn't come easy, but I'm getting better at it.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Excellent! :) A major step forward! I wonder what it is with 'supermoms' and the inability to ask for help? We just seem to plug through blindly, never really considering the option of asking for a hand once in awhile. So much easier when we can rely on a friend to help us through the rough spots. I will be sure to keep your example in mind as I sort through the insanity of the next 2 weeks!

Karin said...

Good question, but I'm not so sure it stops with supermoms? Have you ever heard a man ask for help? (Any kind of them...) I kind of feel it has to do with our culture; we might have lost something along the way. In our persistent struggle to become individuals we forgot how to do things together. And getting help without even asking for it.

Sometimes I wish I was Amish...

Erica said...

I think you're right. There have been a number of times neighbours have found out I was sick or trying to finish up a term at university and are more than annoyed I didn't reach out and ask for help with the yardwork or snow shovelling. The neighbour across the street hurt his shoulder last winter, we just shovelled his walk as much as we could to help out - here again, we knew he probably wouldn't ask for help. There's something to be said for knowing your neighbours and working as a community.

Karin said...

Another thing is that people nowadays are much more suspicious. Like 30 years ago my father more than often stopped his car on his way up the hill to offer lift to elderly women that seemed to struggle with their shopping. And they happily accepted. One day the climate changed somehow, and when he rolled down the window he got a hostile reply, and a look that asked: "What are you after?"

These days he just passes by...