Thursday, November 23, 2006

Almost Giggly

This I don't understand. The time is 9.48 pm, and I'm not panic stricken, even though I probably should be. The final paper is due tomorrow by 1 pm with all of its 3500-4500 words, and I have just under 3300. And they're not that brilliant, at least not enough to weigh up for the shortness. So why am I in such a good mood? Because I know it just have to do; I'm slowly learning to relax.

And on my way I always stumble upon words of wisdom from writers and thinkers who lived long before me, and who make me almost ecstatic. Montaigne I got acquainted with last year, and I decided then, I'd like to read more of him. What an exquisite brain he had; so sharp and witty, and very precise. (And I just love that he shows that you can write sentences that are words 120 long, and still work! My kind of guy.) Just taste these words here:

'Tis the custom of pedagogues to be eternally thundering in their pupil's ears, as they were pouring into a funnel, while the business of the pupil is only to repeat what the others have said: now I would have a tutor to correct this error, and, that at the very first, he should, according to the capacity he has to deal with, put it to the test, permitting his pupil himself to taste things, and of himself to discern and choose them, sometimes opening the way to him, and sometimes leaving him to open it for himself; that is, I would not have him alone to invent and speak, but that he should also hear his pupil speak in turn. Montaigne 1575

So if nothing has changed for the last 500 years, I guess it would be too much to expect a change overnight?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I need to make some closer acquaintances with this fabulous thinker, which I quite embarrassingly have not read before :( I recognize the name, but not his philosophy.... Time to visit Wikipedia, I suppose, and my vastly visited and used book about the Story of Philosophy may even have some information about this marvel of an educational thinker!!

Love the picture ;) and thanks for broadening my limited knowledge capacity, or better even; for adding new knowledge branches to my knowledge tree :)

Karin said...

Limited? I don't think so. I liked the branch metaphor much better.

And Montaigne, he is a true master of metaphors.

Anonymous said...

I may even use this paragraph in my thesis somewhere since it is vastly related to my thesis (learning, education, constructivism, activity theory, blogs)!! In the meantime I hope to find some time to study Montaigne a little closer :) I know I don't need to tell you how much I adore philosophy!!

I'm glad you like my metaphor, and although my knowledge is limited in most fields, it sure is a heck of a lot better than it was just a few years ago when my life was spent domestically (without getting into any boring details)!!

I shall conquer the world and succeed academically - eventually :) but I will never resign from my love of learning and exploring new and emerging fields of knowledge!

Karin said...

The guest list is going to be very long for the gettogether, that's for sure...

Anonymous said...

Considering it's only a couple of weeks away you ought to get busy ;) I bet Montaigne would love some delicious gløgg and lussekatter, so include him on the guest list :)