Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Old Traditions



The tradition of the Advent calendar is at least as 200 years old, and it was a sure thing when I grew up. I usually had three; one following the TV-show that was sent at the same time, one homemade and filled with goodies and small surprises, and one sent from my "uncle" and "auntie" in Germany. (The Advent calendar itself actually has its origin in Germany, and they do know how to make real nice ones. Glitter on the outside and filled with milk chocolate for the kids, and for "grownups" there are the ones with quality chocolate; marzipan and liqueur...)

Anyway, it was a very natural tradition to pass on to my own kids, and every year they got their homemade one from me, the TV-thing from their grandma in Sweden and one or two chocolate ones from others here in Norway. As they got older the only one remaining was the one from me, but for the last couple of years I've been signaling that I won't do it anymore. Trying to find 3 X 24 different, not too expensive gifts, wrap them up and then attach them to the cross stitched calendar is simply a lot of work to do in the middle of exams and everything. And they have assured me for as many years that that's all right. They understand. And they sure should, being 14, 19 and 21...

But so far I've been sitting every last day of November finishing the calendar for them, so I'm afraid that they'll now actually get disappointed if I don't make it? I probably should have stopped when I first said I would. And who's getting me a calendar? Still a kid at heart... I won't be surprised if I'll spend the early hours of the 1st of December doing what I've been doing for 20 years now. But as I said, I'm still a kid at heart, and it pleases me to see them so happy for it.

4 comments:

Erica said...

How absolutely wonderful! I've never heard of the tradition where you make an advent calendar. We've always had the chocolate ones (my Mom is German), but the other things I wasn't aware of. It's a beautiful tradition, a lot of work, but I think I might try it....nothing like shopping on a Friday afternoon! Sounds like the perfect way to get into the Holiday spirit! :)

Karin said...

For sure, and I actually had sort of made it half ways. Had managed to buy at least half of the gifts (thought I'd fill in the rest next week...) but today, or yesterday to be precise, I see I'm writing this at 4.30 in the morning...just a little bit tipsy..., I found out the calendars are not in the house! Two of them are at their father's house, which is more or less equivalent to lost. At least the moment of surprise is, as I have to ask for them! But I'll figure something out, a new twitch I guess?

Erica said...

Yes, the "trying to get things done when you need something from the ex" scenario! I usually don't even try, it only adds to my frustration - or maybe it's just flashbacks. Yuck! Don't need to relive that mess! ;) I'll keep my fingers crossed things will go much easier for you!

Karin said...

Well, he's not that difficult actually regarding "things". (Hard cash is another issue though...) The problem is that he's in Canada and there's no one in the house. I guess the calendars aren't lost all together and they'll probably emerge sooner or later.