Saturday, November 29, 2008

Minor Mode

See you in the blogosphere, she said. Toril somehow seemed to expect that I'd have time to blog in the midst of writing my exam. Silly girl! Of course I don't have time for that, as it is now I'd need to write continuously for the remaining week in order to have even a remote chance of finishing this. So why do I blog now, having said that?

Simple - I just need to get my fingers started! I'm starting to panic, and it ain't funny. The problem though is that everyone else seem to have an unlimited faith in my abilities, and whenever I express my worries the answer is: "Nah, you'll fix it. You always do." Well, the point here isn't to prove anyone wrong, that would be downright stupid, but I just need to whine a little. Get it off my chest, so to speak. So anyone who won't care for listening to my jeremiad, I recommend you to skip the next paragraph. Once I've sung out I'll be in a better mood. Here it goes; in B minor:

I'm sitting here in the dark. Alone. Everyone else is having a good time, preparing for advent with their loved ones. The reality of the consequences of the choices I've made this fall is hitting me hard. And I want to cry. Is this all I ever be? The one who falls on the finishing line? While the rest pass me by, including life itself. Now I do cry, stupid idea to strike a chord at this moment. Emotional miserable wretch, I am. But this is just a job that's need to get done, right? And one way of motivate yourself for doing tedious tasks is to set up a reward for yourself. "When you're done, you can do that thing you've been wanting to do for so long." Yes, motivation is a keyword (which actually might be useful in my paper as well), but what if the thing I want is beyond my control to get? No shoes will make me happy now. Nor any other materialistic symbols, for that matter. Another way of motivating yourself, and perhaps even a better one, is to visualize yourself at the other end; after the work is done, and you've accomplished what you were set up to do. But not even that is helping me, 'cause I really can't see what I'm supposed to be doing then! And where should I be? "Move home, Karin." some people say, while other say "Stay here." I've also heard: "Don't move there, at least." Like that was an option. OK, I'm done singing here - and I'm even further away from organizational culture than when I started this screed, and how to discuss possible actions and measures leaders can take in order to ease the process of organization change and ensure optimal development, is an enigma to me. These discussions should also have an emphasis on how to counteract and manage conflicts and unwillingness to cooperate. Maybe I'm not so numb anyway - a consultant might be a good idea? Someone who can look at the organization with fresh and competent eyes, and set up a plan for the change? A consultant specialized in the field of implementation of strategies, team- and leader development, cultural building, management advice and such? I need a consultant myself, I think...



But aren't you a silly one? Didn't I just tell you not to read the previous paragraph? And yet you did... Don't say I didn't warn you, though. Also, just think of how little you had to read if you only had listened to my advice! How do you feel now?

I'm not crying anymore at least, and hopefully neither are you. So - you go back to whatever you were doing, and I'll just get going - period.

8 comments:

Erica said...

The constant dilemma! On one hand, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this, but on the other, I don't wish this confusion on anyone else!!!

I hope you managed to find the inspiration you needed to get you going....to take that first step. I'm sending happy, productive vibes your way! :)

Karin said...

The inspiration found me so to speak. A wonderful phone call from that "consultant" I asked for, finally set me off, and if I can stay in this flow for another 48 hours I'll be fine.

I remember a biology teacher I once had told us he used speed while taking his exams, but obviously he didn't recommend it for us! Although I feel need some kind of drug now to keep me awake. Have to settle for coffee and chocolate I guess...

Erica said...

I wouldn't recommend the speed thing either - but the coffee....and definitely the chocolate are brillant ideas!!!! ;)

Karin said...

Perfect solution - Irish Coffee...

Toril said...

When I'm in the thinking and reflectin mode I find the Italian red to be the best medicine - oh, what the heck - a good French red does the trick occasionally as well.

If you find yourself finalizing your paper tomorrow, let me know as I would like to bring you along to an ID-party to socialize, drink wine and eat cheese (even stilton - believe it or not!!) I've been promised, and I feel immensely spoilt :)

No more tears my friend! I have huge expectations of you, and can't wait to see the final result :)

Karin said...

Now, finally writing is coming along rather nicely. Much thanks to my wonderful consultants all around the world... But what's not so good is the time I have left, 'cause even if I'm writing as a madman right now, I still have more pages to produce than I've finished so far... Well, that's what happens when you start 3 days before deadline. Ha, ha

But you'll never know - haven't decided if this is the night I'll stay up, or tomorrow. Just have to see how tired I get.

But speaking of it I actually made me much more alert in an instant. A party tomorrow? What an incentive!

Toril said...

Indeed it is - keep plugging away at it ;) and if I don't see you tomorrow night we do have a Moliere date on Thursday after work - jippi!!

I'm off to a Christmas Party on Friday, so this is definitely a party week, and I believe I'll find myself rather exhausted on the weekend. Oh, and I'm going to London on Sunday, my God, PRAY for me :)

Karin said...

Oh, I do feel sorry for you. All that partying - poor you... ;)