Saturday, May 12, 2007

(IKEA) Surprise

About a year ago I bought a new shelf unit. "Träby" from IKEA; made from ash (veneer) with a brushed surface for that "genuine wooden feel". According to the information sheet next to the display, it would also be possible to get glass shelves and doors for the unit, which for me was a point for actually buying this furniture. But despite the fact they didn't carry those glass items at the time, I still went ahead and bought the rest. Rather stupid, it turned out.

Someone told me that generally it's not wise to buy things at IKEA piece by piece, you'll never know if they'll ever going to stock what you need. If you're buying - make sure you'll get everything, if not - don't buy! In general that is, 'cause after a year of asking every time I went to my local IKEA, and getting a "no - I can't even see it in our system" and then finally surrender in disappointment, realizing that the unit never would be finished, then - there it was today! I was as happy as I'd won the lottery.

This was only material goods, so in the end it won't have that much to do with my state of wellbeing, but there might be a small lesson?

The moment you think you'll never find what your looking for it might just be there, right in front of you. You just have to recognize it when you see it.


PS. Nevertheless I must admit I like IKEA, being Swedish and all it's almost part of my culture. And mind you, I did jump down from my first kiddies wardrobe way back in the early 70's!

No comments: