Thursday, August 02, 2007

Loops & Stitches

Mentioned the other day that I was going to do some knitting, and that I did. Bought the yarn on Friday and started straight away. I didn't have a pattern though, just all these lovely colors I wanted to use. 5 balls of varicolored mohair yarn, each with a different shade, and together they would make up all the colors of the rainbow.

So basically, I fell in love with the colors, and then I only had an idea of what I wanted to achieve. Something simple I thought, the yarn in itself was so beautiful I didn't want to overdo it. I brought out the first ball of deep reddish wool and started up with making about 200 stitches, and then I knitted back and forth through the first ball, then the second (which was more of an earthy orange tone), and after that into the yellow/greenish one. By now I didn't feel that comfortable anymore, it didn't look that spectacular after all, but I continued anyway. Nothing else to do really, and I enjoyed the work. Quite meditative to knit, actually...

When I reached the blues and purples everything was fine again, and five days after I started I had finished my shawl. Rather nice, if I should say it myself. I threw it around my shoulders and could feel the warmth immediately.

A story about knitting? Well, I'm not finished yet.

When I had the shawl wrapped around me, I also noticed that the first row was too tight. Not good, there was an overhanging risk that it would break at some point. (It's difficult to know how much yarn you're going to need at the beginning to make it flexible enough.) But there's a solution (there's always one for the creative mind...), and I think I could just turn the thing upside down, tear up that first row, and finish the whole thing off with a nice crochet edge. I don't do that much crochet normally, but here I think it'll do the trick. One stitch at a time...


No comments: