Monday, December 31, 2007

Flowing Water

This time of the year it's common to sum up the previous year, but is there any possible way to do that? And should I? I guess whatever happens in life, either good or bad, it's important to learn something from it, in order to progress. To be able to repeat any success, and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again. But the first question I need to answer is whether I should write at all...

Well, of course I'll write, but it was more what and where. This is not the first time I questioned the existence of this blog, and probably not the last, but this time I was actually quite sure I wasn't going to post anything more. The freedom I used to feel, the relief in venting out my thoughts and feelings, was gone, and I felt I was giving away freebies. Like I'd put myself under a microscope for anyone to examine my heart and soul. And why should I do that for nothing? On the other hand, only writing about every day trivia isn't doing it for me in the long run, it's the more complex and profound personal issues I need to explore.

Also, it seems like some people love my words more than they love me, so what the hell; why not give the people what the people want then? If I make it my decision to "give", maybe I'll get at least some sense of dignity and control back?

In one of the first posts of last year I sounded quite optimistic, and the one sentence read like this:

"This year's plan is to run through any brick walls that might come in my way..."

I don't know whether the walls were too solid, sturdy and impenetrable or if I just didn't see them,but the result was still the same. I smashed so hard I can still feel the pain. That's why I'm not going to predict anything for this year, and there'll be no New Year's resolutions for me. As long as I'll keep my head above water I'll be fairly satisfied. Everything else is a bonus. And with this rather bleak and pessimistic view I should be in for a fantastic year, don't you think?

OK, back to 2007 then, if only for those last weeks.

I spent the latter part of December with my family in Sweden, and here are a few words (and images) from then.



So, this is where I'm from - Mölndal, Sweden. Funny though how some things can just lie there for ever without you taking any notice. I don't know how many times I've passed here, and not looking really. To my defense I don't think the stream was as accessible back then, all locked in by factories and fences. Now as the buildings are rebuilt and let out for office use, the area is more open to the public. All in line with the idea of restoring and maintaining historical sites like this in general.



The second picture is from Fiskebäck, where my father keeps his boat. Now we just paid a quick visit to see that everything was in place, and all covers tightly secured. They were, but going there was also a nice excuse for grabbing a pizza at the local "restaurant". (The quality of the photos are not the best, taken with my mobile device as they are.)

Otherwise Christmas and New Year passed by in relative peace and harmony. The last day of the year I spent with two bachelors, lamb chops, Amarone wine, Roquefort cheese with Sauternes, and Champagne when the clock struck twelve. Absolutely a nice evening, and very safe considering the two bachelors are my brothers. No risk of breaking anything there.

So what would this "New Year Revue" be about then? Could say it was the year when everything happened, and then again, nothing at all...

No comments: