Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Scandinavian Wildlife



You wouldn't believe all the strange creatures I've seen this summer, and just to put you in the right mood, I'll start with my new hate object. The kind of beast that makes ticks almost nice. Well, not really, but anyhow – have you heard of the deer ked? If not, consider yourself lucky. This little bugger isn't regarded as particularly harmful to humans, but as Wikipedia says "it can be a nuisance". In my opinion that's an understatement. You wonder why?

Lipoptena cervi is a fly, but I'd like to think of it more as a flying spider. It won't fly very far though, only 50 mtrs or so, and as soon as it lands on its "victim" (deer or elk mostly) it sheds its wings and starts burrowing through the fur in search for its first meal. And that's blood. The parasite then lives its life there while reproducing several times. Nasty. But why do I loath this insect more than other?

It doesn't buzz so you won't notice if it's heading your way. Then suddenly you feel something tickle and crawl around, and this is where you can freak out. It won't go away! It's flat and hard (some have suitably nicknamed it "Armor Fly"), and its feet have claws (!) at the end. You can wave and brush all you want; it'll still be clinging to your skin. I had one on me, it got under my skirt and I got so worked up that I undressed right there in the yard. My mother was there as well, and with combined efforts we caught the bastard in a tissue. I'm usually neither vindictive nor cruel, but after crushing the "fly" in the paper we also decided to set fire to it, just to make a statement. We put it down on the ground, lit a match and brought it to the paper – waiting for that sweet feeling of revenge as the bloodsucker would go up in smoke. It must have laughed long and hard, that six legged monster from hell, while we watched in disbelief as it crawled out of the paper and disappeared…

Apart from that fly thing, which I had only two encounters with, the rest of the observed fauna was exclusively good natured. I had a moose crossing the road, but I was driving quite slowly, and he was behaving at his best. No turning mid air as they sometimes do. We also had numerous visits of roe deer in the field; they just loved the vetch the neighbour farmer had sown. The roes ran alongside hares and rabbits. This picture I think most people agree sounds idyllic, but I'm not so sure everybody shares my excitement over that other guest I had. One night I had a bat flying around in my bedroom! Very cute, I think, but he was gently manoeuvred back out through the open window.

And all the frogs! Don't think I've ever seen as many as this summer. Literally.

8 comments:

Erica said...

OK, YUCK!!!!! I've had dealings with sheep keds in my lifetime and frankly that was gross enough....they also don't fly! So I can only assume I'd be very yucked out by something flying around!!!! I'm glad the rest of your new 'friends' weren't quit so, hmmmm, unfriendly?! ;)

Karin said...

No, the rest of the gang were ever so friendly. Just have to teat them right.

There was another one, by the way, I'm sure you would have liked. The neighbor's poor rooster, with his half-hearted crows. Don't know what's wrong with him; too many or too few hens, but his call always made me laugh. Sort of stopped in the middle of it...

Toril said...

Oh dear, some people may think this frog is cute, but I TRULY hate frogs. We have all sorts and sizes at the cabin, and when they surface at night I stay inside with a good book. Actually Geir came by with one this size this very evening, and Emma Louise wanted to hold it. Sure enough, I almost started to hyperventilate as the monster was carried through my living room, but I managed to hide my anxiety, I think.

As for disgusting flying or crawling creatures I swear the tick wins the contest!!! It isn't just disgusting looking, but it is also very dangerous and can be even deadly if the symptoms for Lyme disease isn't detected in time. Be aware girls, the forest and the fields are full of them this year!!!! I'm not even about to pick any berries this year.... sad for my storage of jams, but most likely a smart decisison as I would hate to be hospitalized for a long time!!

Karin said...

The tick for sure is a nasty thing, and as you point out, Toril - potentially very dangerous. But as long as you remove them quickly the risk of getting infected with Lyme disease is fairly low. And you will notice them, I promise you that. They itch like hell. On me they usually don't even get the chance to bite, it tickles too much already when they crawl around... But nasty? Definitely!

Erica said...

I would have liked to hear this poor rooster! I had 62 of them for my trial and they were certainly anything but quiet - or half hearted!!! Deafening would be a better discription, but maybe the extra competition spurred them on. ;) According to research, the longer the crow, the higher up on the social ladder the rooster is. If this guy has no competition, well, I suppose, why waste the energy???!!! :)

Karin said...

I knew I'd get some valuable insight from you, Deb! And isn't this kind of the same behavior we can observe in human habitats; why bother to make an effort if no one seems to be threatening your position?

Erica said...

How absolutely true!! ;) I was going to make some comparisons, but I thought I'd hang on to my somewhat biased opinion - considering my relationship trials! lol ;)

Karin said...

But there's hope, Deb, I'm sure. I was thinking I'd better write "we sometimes can observe", cause there are fantastic people out there, I know that. People who actually care to make an effort. If not always, at least most of the times.