Thursday, November 12, 2009

Parking Lot Ponderings

My mother and I ventured to IKEA today, and an interesting thing happened at the carpark. Lots of people, and lots of cars, as always, but I found a nice parking spot not too far from the entrance. I drove past the spot, and turned to the right in order to reverse back into it. This is the way I usually park, unless there are too many cars coming from behind. You see, somehow people never seem to expect you to park that way and they keep coming too close. Anyway, as I started the maneuver I noticed this older man watching me, and I knew he was actually curious to see how I'd manage. I did fine (what else?), and we left the car and headed towards the store. But this man approached me as we passed, and said something like: "I'm so impressed! I've never seen a woman do a reverse parking so perfectly before. All in one go."


Isn't it funny? He'd never say something like that to man, in fact he wouldn't even have stopped to check the action out. Men are supposed to handle things like reverse parking and simple household plumbing, but there's nothing genetically supporting that idea. I wonder though, does it make me more or less of a woman when I can fix these things myself? I know the answer, but it has taken me a while. Actually, for a long time I thought I didn't fit into the label "woman". I too (of course) was influenced by the traditional gender models, and knew I was too much of a "techie" to be truly feminine. But as I was sure I wasn't a man either, I kind of felt like nothing. Strange thought really, and a long gone one now as well. But this woman remembers when she felt like "nothing".

When all this happened at the carpark I immediately saw the blogpost, thinking of how we discussed reverse parking before, me and a friend. For most people it's about better view and safer departure from the spot itself, but my friend learned while spending time in "danger zones" it was the only way to park - you needed to be able to get out as quick as hell if things were getting complicated. Perhaps not the worst of approaches; it's good to know there's a way out.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I had a comment many years ago from someone very dear to me; there was something that needed to be repaired in my apartment, he happened to be there that evening...an argument insued or maybe it was a discussion (too many years ago), the gist of it being, he ended up asking "well then, what the hell am I doing here?". I was completely taken aback by his attitude, I knew what he was there for and it wasn't to do repairs!!!! ;) Maybe I've wanted a partner all these years, not just a repairman! I guess I could have given in, he obviously needed to show me he wanted to look after me, however at the time I took it as an insult.

Here's to all those lost 'nothing' women out there!!! Keep banging away at the stereotypes!!!

Another reminder of the sheltered life I've lived, nothing about a quick escape has ever crossed my mind... how sad so many have to.

I see there are only 11 hours to go! :)

Toril said...

Oh shit, I love reversing, and have always been good at it... Just for experience I'd like to reverse my car from home to Timbukto, but driving rules and regulations don't allow me! However, Deb about stereotypes - does this mean I have to learn to change the tires??? I just don't want to!!! I think men actually like to change tires, so why should I learn? Not that I don't need it, I actually had a flat tire a few months ago, but I just made a quick phonecall, and assistance was on his way ;)

Erica said...

OK, so what's with the commonality here??? When I was learning to drive I was allowed to drive up and down my parent's driveway. As you know Toril, they have a very long driveway. My practice sessions involved driving down to the gate and then backing all the way up to the barnyard - needless to say I became an excellent 'back up' driver. Interesting we have this in common....
And as far as stereotypes, nope, no need to learn to change a tire! Just know you're completely capable to learning and doing it - if you WANTED to! I wonder if it's the changing tire thing or coming to the aid of a beautiful woman in 'distress' that's driving the desire for men to change tires???!!! ;)

Toril said...

He, he, that's a good one, Deb!! I'm actually completely convinced it's the woman in distress that's driving the desire in men to change our tires - I have no doubt what-so-ever ;) In the meantime I'll concentrate on shopping, sipping red wine, gin&tonics, socializing with good frinds and travel the world :) Cape Town next!!!