Saturday, November 28, 2009

Dressed For The Occasion - Or Just Lazy?

Just in for a pit stop at my mom's, between a week in Edinburgh and my return to Norway. It has been quite an adventurous time these last few weeks, and I'll let you in on some of the action. I think the last post left off right after that amazing weekend I spent with my friend here in Gothenburg. Something about a Robbie Williams song...

This was on Monday. I went home to my mother for re-packing the suitcase, and a slight altering of my mental state. Sure, I was visiting another friend, but there are friends and there are friends. Wednesday morning I was on my way, via train to Oslo and later Ryanair to Scotland, and arrived safely at Hannah's place in the evening. We had an early night; after all it was a regular workday for the professor (Hannah's man), who was a tad overworked to put it mildly, since he's recently been appointed Head of School in addition to his real work. You see, being Head of School isn't necessarily that fancy, it could simply mean that any frustrations and conflicts around the department are directed your way and you end up the main target.


Thursday we did nothing much really, except from being two friends who hadn't seen each other for a long time. She served homemade scones, jam and tea in the conservatory, and it was so peaceful listening to the rain drumming on the glass roof. They live in a rather quiet area, with Liberton Golf Course as next neighbour. (Considering that there are nearly 30 golf courses in Edinburgh it's actually hard to avoid being close to one.) So we stayed in and talked about this and that. Well, poor Hannah had to venture out for half an hour, as her little rascal kitten was due for his first shot.

But you know me, can't sit still for long, and Friday we were out of the house before noon. First a stop at the The Elephant House, which I at first was reluctant to visit, as Hannah advertised it as the place where J.K. Rowling sat while writing Harry Potter. I didn't want to offend my friend, and as she told me it actually was a nice place I surrended. She was right, I loved the place. And although they're milking it a bit nowadays, I also immediately understood that Potter mum wasn't the first one sitting there being creative. My guess is that she just found that atmosphere rather inspiring, as Ian Rankin and others did before her. Did you know that there's a very high density of writers in Edinburgh? And that the city is the first of three appointed by UNESCO as a "City of Literature"? No wonder I like the place.

Next stop was Edinburgh College of Art where a friend of Hannah's is doing her masters in sculpture. They'd been to the Orkney's and in conjunction with that had a small exhibition opening that day. Who am I to judge, but I must say a lot of it was rather naive and unfinished. Liked the free wine and canapés though. No, that wasn't fair. I kept saying to Hannah that my definition of art is when I don't get the feeling I could have done it myself, and there sure were a few pieces that I surely couldn't have accomplished. After that it was time to go home and fix supper for all of us, and I thought it was a good idea to contribute. So when the hosts relaxed in the lounge I stirred the pot with my "famous" risotto.

Up early Saturday and off to the young daughter's ballet. Well, she did the dancing while Hannah and me had "full Scottish breakfast" at Vincent Cafe. The ballerina joined us after the lesson and the three of us headed to the Rudolf Steiner School Christmas Market. Which was quite a funny thing, since I was actually supposed to be doing my part back home in Norway, in my own daughter's school. She had to double shifts at the stalls while her mother was enjoying a much more liberal attitude to the concept of Christmas markets. In Norway it would have been an absolute NO to serving alcohol, but in Edinburgh we could get instant relief from that nasty wind and chilly rain by a cup of mulled wine for only £2. Since it was for a good cause I selflessly sacrificed myself and had another. Maybe a third too, can't rrmemmberr.. .,. .,..

I was also lucky enough to be in Edinburgh while the Edinburgh Art Fair 2009 was on, and that's where we took the bus after the Christmas Market. I don't think I've seen so much art displayed at once, and it was simply too much to digest in one sitting (or walking rather). My feet were sore, and when the professor joined us at the venue I sneaked off to the bar for some alone time. Sat there for half an hour, reviewing some of the art in my head. Funny what you end up recalling after a massive overload like that! One artist that really caught my eye, and who I even would like to have on my wall, is Cyril Croucher. Sure, there must have been painters that were more skilled, painting like Rembrandt, but I always seem to fall for these distorted perspectives.

The contrast couldn't have been bigger, 'cause next assignment was grocery shopping, and we did that at ASDA. Huge store, got everything, cheap - and open 24/7. Do I need to say more?

I skip Sunday here, and jump straight into the following week. Bus again to the city center. (Did I mention the excellent bus services they have there? For £3 you get a day-ticket, and for that you can travel as much as you like for a whole day. Obviously.) First a quick tour around Harvey Nichols, a store where I felt oddly foreign. Not from being Scandinavian, but being from another world. Don't think I'll ever would like to spend thousands and thousands (and were talking pounds here!) on dresses and coats from YsL, Gucci and Stella McCartney. Hannah on the other hand knows exactly where to spend her fortune as soon as she sells £5,000 worths of her own work. That's the beauty of friendship, you don't have to be copies of each other, liking the same things all the time. Fascinating how different we look at some things, while being in total understanding regarding other stuff.

From HN we walked to a favorite place of mine - a bookstore. And to make it better this Waterstones  had a Starbucks! It all came to perfection as we sat down by the window and I could see the castle. Could I ask for more? (I guess I could, but not here, not now...) Again I was thinking about the writers of Edinburgh, and if you're writing you're most likely reading too. For research, inspiration and such, and no doubt Rowling had walked these stairs as well. Hannah pointed it out to me, and don't you agree? Could this be anything else than the "Trick Stairs og Hogwarts"? I almost got lost myself...









































I've been going on and on here, and if you haven't fallen asleep yet, I'm impressed. Maybe you're still waiting for juicier stuff? Enough with the tea-parties! Sorry to disappoint you, but this wasn't that kind of adventure, and Tuesday turned out pretty much the same with more shops, and a wonderful walk through The National Gallery of Scotland. Had coffee there too.

This post has taken me most of the day. Brakes of course, for coffee, dinner, coffee again, and some laundry in between. All through this I've been dressed in appropriate attire for the occasion, sporting my new lush, black velvet dressing gown and satin PJ's! Almost feel like a writer, ha, ha, I even have a glass of wine next to me.

Thank you for staying with me, but this is what comes after being absent for nearly two week, while actually doing something. All good, except a thing or two, but they are not meant for the "public". Need more private space to reveal my heart there. But I do need it, so we'll talk elsewhere, sweethearts. :-)

PS. And I didn't drink that much whisky either, neither Caol Ila nor any other. Guess there will be time for that sooner or later.


7 comments:

Erica said...

Your trip sounds fabulous - I'm extremely jealous! I've been busy with a presentation I made yesterday (went VERY well) and now I have to find some analysis they want to see before this guy leaves tomorrow, work, work, work.... but I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it! :)
more comments later

Toril said...

I just found time to read the entire post, and as always - fabulous!! Took me back to my visits to Edinburgh, an absolutely gorgeous city in a beautiful country!! I'd like that private chat though, and was wondering when the globetrotter ventures back home to Bergen :)

Karin said...

She's actually back as we speak! Came "home" early this morning, as tired as a newt. Will probably fall asleep very soon, long before midnight. And that's not typical me...

Toril said...

I suppose Sweden is exhausting these days, should be good to be home in small and quiet Bergen then ;)

Let me know when you're up to a glass of wine and a bite to eat! I'll be busy tomorrow with lunch at work and julebord in the evening (work), but we could even catch up on Saturday :)

I do have a feeling you need to attend to your babies first, and I'll wait patiently until they return to their normal life!!

Karin said...

It seems like my babies are doing just fine without me. Everybody are actually. It's just me who don't do that well on my own any longer. Let's not go there now though, not here.

A meeting tomorrow sounds wonderful, if I can dig out something halfway descent to wear from the bags. I'm pretty sure now, that if I wasn't a Gypsy in previous life, I will be doing hell of a job as one in the next life. :)

Toril said...

Karin, what are you up to?? I'm sitting on the couch with a face mask on feeling a little drowsy due to a late arrival last night after the UiB julebord.... To top it off, I'm watching the Bondi Vet where old people actually stuff their animals after they die!! My God, I think I'm starting to feel nauseated :(

However, I'm seriously considering a departure soon. I should take the bus to town to collect my car, but that may be a little too adventurous today..... Lagunen is always tempting, but can I handle it on a Saturday before Christmas?? People are probably fist fighting by now after having circled around for 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot ;)

Karin said...

I'm sitting on the couch too, not with a mask on my face though. Lagunen isn't that tempting, I must admit that. On the other hand every place is probably just as crowded. As long as I can get a cup of coffee I'm alright. (And if I'm speedy I can pick up a bottle of wine as well. Need some medication.) You pick, and I'll jump on a bus in that direction.