Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April Sun

I might get drunk tonight, and that's only because I was told to. Let's rewind.

My son left his phone behind on Tuesday, when I drove him back to the base. As there are several security protocols to be followed there, I had to use my connections to get it back to him somehow. My "man behind the lines" is a very cooperative person, so I scheduled to meet him outside the gate at 1200 hours. I might get a penalty point for not arriving on time, but I was caught in the traffic. Lame excuse, I know, but this time actually true. The major construction work that's going on in connection with "Bybanen" is making the city a bit chaotic.

When I finally got there, he asked me if I'd been inside before. I said no, and he offered me a tour. It's an impressively huge place, with more than 4000 people working or doing their military service there. He drove around the facilities, and showed me a little bit of everything; fantastic vessels and magnificent views. No details, after all, I could be indicted for disclosing classified information. The nice view was seen from the top of a hill, and the way up there is nothing but a nightmare. If you're a soldier that is, and have to run up carrying one of your mates. We had a car. Before we started the crawl uphill he said: Don't be frightened, but it's called "Lovers Walk". (Loosely translated from Norwegian.) Wonder who was scared actually.

A little while later we were back at the gate, and I thanked him for the tour. "That was the short one" he said, and I asked: "Well, how is the long one then?" (Should I pack a picnic basket?)

Later I called him, trying to coordinate things for the handover of my son's phone. I think I was quite incoherent, mixing up the days, and probably talked too fast. As usual. He then suggested I'd get me something to drink. Good idea, and I think I'll listen to that advice. Smart guy, he is. Than again, I'm a smart cookie.

No comments: