Thursday, April 10, 2008

Who's Driving?



I'm not sure if it'll help with my writing, but my mood certainly got a boost. I saw my friend Toril today (correction: yesterday, as I didn't finish this post the same day I started it), and she tried her best to set me straight. I must admit her effort was quite good, and she reminded me of a few things I needed to hear. But there was one metaphor she used that got me thinking.

Now, what she told me was to get into the driving seat. Although it's a good metaphor for taking control over your own situation, and not letting anyone else push you around, I'm not sure I like the consequence of it. 'Cause if you're taking over the wheel, doesn't that mean the previous driver is now left where you didn't want to be? Is that fair? Would you rather be the bully?

But this doesn't make sense, I see that. Of course "the car" is a symbol for your own life, which you should drive yourself, but then again, isn't it kinda sad if we're all driving around alone in our cars? So how can we travel but still be together with other people? Use public transportation!

The problem with trying to expand a metaphor is that you'll sooner or later dig a pit for yourself, and with this one there are several dangers. Like, who's driving the vehicle? How can we avoid unwanted passengers?

Therefore I'd say life isn't an ordinary subway trip under the city's ground, maybe it's more like an adventure bus charter tour? Imagine us all in charge of our own buses, where we decide where we want to go, and we also decide who's allowed on board. (People who are misbehaving are dropped off in the middle of nowhere, preferably in the alps during winter.) Some people organize exotic tours which will take us to far away places, where other's are merely shopping trips to the nearest table cloth factory. To make your charter company a successful one, and leave the passengers wanting to come back to you, you'll have to drive comfortably and safely. The service has to be to everyone's satisfactory, and some entertainment is a plus. A memorable trip with no unpleasant surprises (we just want the exciting ones...), isn't that something we all wish for?

As we can't be behind the wheel 24/7, every driver needs to rest, we can all be tourists and ride along with someone else. If we're lucky maybe we'll bump into that nice couple in seat five and six, from last years trip to Budapest? Or that beautiful woman who sat quietly in the back while we were driving through Provence? If that mysterious man who boarded in Marrakesh last spring suddenly showed up again, now that would be really thrilling.

The experiences we get while traveling with others will all help us on our next trip. Either we're driving our own bus a short trip to a local waterfall, or if we are passengers on a tour to a Mayan temple, we'll know how to make the journey momentous and unforgettable for everyone.

I could on forever here, but I'll better stop here. And of course, this weren't meant to be taken too seriously, it was just an intellectual/philosophical experiment. But I rather like those.

No comments: