Thursday, December 07, 2006

Diversion At Hyperspeed

How many steps are there from Corpus Linguistics to homemade furniture? I should be reading for my exam tomorrow, and I'm even trying to, but it's ever so easy to do one click too many, and then you're lost in cyberspace.

I started off quite alright with the web-based compendium, and began to read about different ways of presenting and adapting text that are digitalized on a symbolic level.

  • The text can be displayed in different fonts and colors.
  • Elements of texts can be linked to other texts or parts of texts (hyperlinks).
  • Specific parts of the text (e.g. footnotes, hyperlinks) can be either visible or hidden.
  • The text can be translated to another language.
  • A summary of the text can be made (e.g. "SweSum")
  • We can extract keywords etc. and find structures and relations within the text itself and with other texts.
  • We can generate a text from a database, previous texts or other information. (e.g. "SciGen", "PoMo")
  • We can create statistics over words and other textual characteristics (e.g. "Ord i dag")
Deliberately I chose not to keep the links from the original, otherwise you might get lost too, but the one that set me off was PoMo, a text generator that delivers nonsense academic papers. Quote from the creator: "The essay you have just seen is completely meaningless and was randomly generated by the Postmodernism Generator [...] using a system for generating random text from recursive grammars."

So, what did I find on PoMo, besides the fact that I absolutely love "silly" things like that? (And the fact that it's not silly, considering that actually a few generated papers like these have been accepted as real. That opens up for a series of important questions, I believe.) What I found else was a "Sites I Like" link list on the right, and from there I jumped to MAKE: Blog - hilarious! One of the posts drew my attention, and I clicked again. Then I decided to blog about it myself, after all, that's what's is all about, isn't it? Diversion At Hyperspeed ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say, your busy mind is at it again at hyperspeed, and in my mind and heart I know you'll pass your forthcoming exam with flying colors - even if you haven't read a lot of the syllabus. You see, Karin, you already have it all in your head, because you've read and learnt about it long ago while occupied otherwise, and without realizing it, you built the knowledge structures that are guiding and scaffolding you through higher education ;)

Good work, good thinking, and impeccable critical reflections!!

Karin said...

I hope you're right. I think my problem sometimes is that I need to slow down my mind so I can see what's in there when I need it.

Make sense?