Monday, April 16, 2007

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream

In 1979 I was 13, and not the least bit interested in horror movies. But I was interested in a boy, and when he suggested we'd go see Alien I "happily" followed along. I didn't see much of the movie though; after that first jump in the chair when the "egg" cracked and that crablike creature threw itself at Kane's face, I pretty much buried my head in my boyfriends sweater. Tried a few glimpses now and then, but when that slimy eel-creature chewed his way through Kane's stomach from within, I don't think I saw one bit more. Have a very vague memory of the actual full grown alien, black and shiny, with its hideous extending mouth, but that's it. From back then though. As you might understand I have watched the movie more closely later. I still can't say I like horror movies, but I can appreciate the art behind a film like Alien.

Ridley Scott is a very thorough director and producer, and maybe that's why movies like Blade runner, Thelma & Louise and Gladiator, besides Alien, have so many fans. And in this thoroughness he obviously employs highly qualified professionals at all levels, such as the Swiss artist H. R. Giger for creating the monster.

But how can this almost 30 year old Hollywood movie have anything to do with my temporary trainee position at the Institute of Marine Research where I am now? A lot actually. Browsing through last month's news articles I came across this one. The very source of inspiration for that terrifying Xenomorph. Maybe not so scary though, only 30 mm long...

2 comments:

Toril said...

Love the word of the day - efficacious, and have actually used it quite extensively while writing academically :)

When it comes to scary movies I admit to never seeing them as I'm already too scared of the dark, or being home alone!! I did, however, watch Ridley Scott's Thelma & Louise, and I loved it!!!!

The Phronima ailien looks horrifying and absolutely disgusting, and how in the world am I suppose to ever swim calmly in the Med again??? HELP!!! Good thing Norskhavet is too cold too swim in! Come to think of it I have done a fair amount of swimming in the Norwegian Sea while visiting Northern Norway and the Hebrides....

Where exactly does the border between the Norwegian sea and the North Sea go, anyway?? Maybe that's something you would be kind enough to look into while occupying your much deserved position at the Institute of Marine Reasearch?

By the way, you are attending Barbara Ganley's lecture at UiB on April 24th, aren't you??

Karin said...

But it's so small?... No, I agree with you, it is a little creepy.

I'd forgotten all about the lecture, along with everything else I seem to forget these days, but I will hopefully be able to fit it into my schedule. Tuesday, isn't it?

And for your question about the Norwegian Sea, Wikipedia might be sufficient? (Again...)