Monday, April 23, 2007

Yesterday's Word

Just noticed the "Word of the Day" from Sunday. It stood out in a way, and I really liked the sound of it. Prolix. Sounds like something my doctor could prescribe me, to be taken when behaving irrationally. (Which I never do, by the way...) Back to prolix.

I like the letter X, 'cause it's also a symbol and visually intriguing, and I like pro, which is a

prefix meaning "before, forward, in favor of, in place of," from L. pro "on behalf of, in place of, before, for," also in some cases from cognate Gk. pro "before, in front of," both from PIE *pro-, extended form of base *por- "forward, through" (cf. Skt. para "beyond," pra- "before, forward, forth;" Gk. paros "before," para- "from beside, against, beyond;" Goth. faura "before," O.E. fore "before, for, on account of," fram "forward, from"). Pro and con is attested from c.1400, short for pro and contra "for and against" (L. pro et contra). Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

I'd like to think of myself as a pro person. Pro life, pro love, pro lixus [akin to līquī to flow; see liquor].

But after a closer inspection this word then turns out to be an adjective, and not a noun which I thought it was! To my ear it still sounds like something I could get over the counter:
"Two bottles of anti-dandruff shampoo and a carton of Prolix, please!"

No, no, it wasn't, but I'm afraid this word suits me quite well after all...

3 comments:

Toril said...

I looked at yesterday's word of the day, but it didn't do much for me, so pleased that someone else enjoyed it :) I, on the other hand, love today's word of the day - gregarious!! Possibly because I believe I'm a very gregarious person, and also because it's a word I could use regularly instead of social or extrovert ;) Do you agree?

Karin said...

Loved the meaning more than the sound actually, but you're right about you being gregarious anyway.

But there are more words to choose from, what about affable, amiable , convivial and effervescent?

Toril said...

Hi, hi! You're wonderful!! Love all those words :)