Thursday, September 27, 2007

Demining

I thought I'd pick up on yesterday's theme and introduce another metaphor/analogy for the human mind, which is sort of related to the previous. And obviously it came to me while I did what I so often do - reflect on my own behavior and reactions.

There was an image I came across, while browsing through the "My Picture" folder in search for something else, that for a moment made me both happy and tearful at the same time. In short, there was a wave of emotions that hit so hard I could feel it through my whole body. But I also noticed a change in me; had this happened a year ago, I'd probably let that wave carry me away to a place where I couldn't have stopped crying, all drenched in sorrow and sadness. The reaction now though was a little different.

I simply couldn't allow myself to be that hurt again, it just takes so much energy. And it's not very constructive. But I couldn't help but wonder if this was a sign that I was getting cold and disillusioned, or could it be healthy sign? Had I simply learned a new strategy? I saw that avoiding triggers like these was much like staying clear of land mines.

Imagine your mind as your country, where you're a citizen. Every letdown, every bad thing that ever happened to, lies buried just underneath the ground surface at the outskirts of your consciousness, ready to go off at any second. Anything that provokes a memory can activate the mechanisms and set off an explosion of turmoil and agonizing feelings, that inhibits you and keeps you from moving on. So how to navigate a safe path through this mental minefield? Or do we have to in the first place?

Why, I think we do. Keeping in line with the analogy, these mines are denying us access from certain areas, and acts like a barrier stopping us from be truly at peace in our minds. You see, there's freedom beyond that danger zone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Demining requires self-confidence, calmness and an educated state of mind. I'm confident in that you have the required skills to perform such a task.

Karin said...

And if not, I guess one can always call in the bomb squad?

I believe this is your area of expertise, but I wonder; are men generally better in this field? It seems like there are a lot more men performing this kind of job successfully...

Anonymous said...

Not necessarily better, but perhaps with the required "give a f****"-attitude to perform the job.
And of course - with the wish to protect women and children from harm or injury.
And yes - there's always a bomb squad to call, but be sure it's a naval one.

Karin said...

Well, that's an interesting point you're making, and I actually thought along the same line, although I didn't got that far into the analogy.

I mean, the perspective that it also involves other people, and about how safely they can travel along with us.