Friday, July 18, 2008

Ogres, Beasts & Trolls

Growing up as an imaginary princess has made me aware of the "necessity" of a prince. The purpose of this fantasy character has (obviously) changed over the years, but in searching for that magical being I've at least discovered some crucial and constant traits that need to be present. But I also wonder if there might be a scientific approach to this problem, since real life is quite far from a fairy tale? Could someone tell me the official frog/prince ratio, if there is one? 10 to 1? 100 to 1? More, most likely. And how's the math regarding the actual assignment of princes? I mean if you're lucky enough to once have encountered a handsome nobleman, and he then rides off into the sunset without you, is that it? A 1 to 1 ratio for princes/princesses, which mean you the next time have to settle for a toad?

And further, doesn't it seem like the princess always has to prove she's the real thing, by sleeping on peas and other unpleasant activities, while the prince just can claim he's a royal under a spell and then the princess willingly kisses him despite being both grim and slimy. No need for hard work or evidence there, right? But I guess that's not the "princes’" faults, it's probably we princesses that should start question the authenticity of these seductive sovereigns without letting them too close. Maybe we should suspect that not all smooth-talkers are princes in disguise. And that not all spells are made to be broken by a princess. Some princes might need to do that work by themselves. Blood, sweat, and tears.

I never post anything without reading it through, several times, to make sure it's somewhat close to what I had in mind, and as I read this I can see how you might interpret this. "Bitter and disillusioned, right?" Now, I didn’t say that, and as I told you the other day that "I’m no real princess, after all" I reckon I don’t need a real prince either. I actually find frogs quite charming, to be honest.

3 comments:

Toril said...

Precious, the ogre/beast/troll is back in business, so as for now I've put restrictions on my blog.... I'll be posting SOON ;)

Karin said...

So I've noticed... was thinking on putting restrictions on here as well, but haven't so far. Do you think I should? But one can wonder what the interest is all about anyway.

Talk to you later, sweetie. And I also have a question for you regarding choice of subject next semester, but I'll come back to that. In private...

Erica said...

Hey, nice to see you're back! :)