Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Streetwise

Now it's only two days until Hannah leaves for Scotland, and we had a little meeting downtown tonight. Nice dinner, a couple of glasses of wine and a cognac. And a lot of laughs. So all in all a very memorable evening, and the fact that we won't see each other that often wasn't mentioned. Thanks to digital technology it won't feel that distant, and besides - her happiness is of course the most important issue in this case.

A funny thing happened while I was waiting for her, and her sister who was joining us for dinner. I walked slowly down the street where we'd arranged to meet, and suddenly this man approached me. He looked a little puzzled, and asked politely if I spoke Norwegian or English. "Both" I replied, and waited for the next question, which I presumed would be something about direction. To my astonishment he said: "You look so lovely, can we perhaps meet today or tomorrow for drinks or something to eat?" Well, that's really something, isn't it? I was so relieved when Hannah and Ruth walked round the corner just in time to rescue me...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed a most peculiar approach, but taking into consideration the person approached - it's hard to blame him.
(Perhaps he was even was a nice, honest and sincere man.....?)

Karin said...

And yet, some people still resist... I'm just pulling your leg, we know where we are. ;)

But about that man? He might very well have been a real catch, but he could have been Prince of Persia for all I care, I'd still say no.

Erica said...

I don't know if I would have actually taken the chance or not. I certainly would have embarked on that journey, without a second thought, about 20 years ago, but today..... I suppose I would walk away because I have to consider the well-being of my daughter - I can no longer afford to take that kind of risk in life. Some of the best experiences of my life have been the result of this kind of enounter, are we too cautious now? Too jaded? Or have a lot more sense than when we were young??!!! ;)

Karin said...

Could be you're right, though I'm afraid in my case I'm not as sensibel as it may seem. But saying no to this man was probably the right thing to do.

Erica said...

I think you're right. Could be good, but could also end up with more trouble/complicated than you need. No need to make life messier than it has to be! ;) Nice experience though, just having a man make that kind of effort just for you! :)

Karin said...

You're definitely right about that... no need to make life messier than it has to be...