Saturday, September 06, 2008

What's Cookin'?

Today I think I'll make risotto, but more for therapeutic reasons. Of course it'll taste divine in the end too, but the actual cooking of it? I simply love it. Nothing like making a risotto when you're too wind up, 'cause you can't rush it. All steps has to be followed carefully; and although cooking risotto isn't difficult, you do have to put your time and heart in it.

First there's the sauteing of the finely chopped onion in extra virgin olive oil, and this stage is called soffrito. The next is tostatura in which you add the uncooked rice grains and gently "seal" them in the hot oil. After this comes the time consuming cottura stage, where the hottish chickenstock is added one ladleful at a time, stirring more or less continuously. (There are numerous variations of risotto, but not even all basic recipes uses white wine which I consider a must. Two glasses, one for the risotto and one for the chef, is part of what makes this dish so tasteful, in my opinion, and is added before the stock.) This third stage is also the one I so much enjoy, while it's very meditative, I think. You have to be careful that the rice neither is drown in liquid nor is cooked dry. If all this is performed to perfection, the all’onda stage almost comes as a natural result, but it is a bit tricky; judging when the rice has cooked to al dente. Final stage, mantecare, is when the risotto becomes creamy after a dash of butter and grated Parmagiano cheese is added, and is let to rest for a few minutes before serving

I see now it took me so long to write this, that all I have time for today is a couple of sandwiches - which will only satisfy my hunger, but will offer no relief for my mind...

No comments: