Monday, September 15, 2008

Undercover



Of all the things I could have been studying, some seem more interesting than others. And only because I’m not taking a degree in Social Anthropology, I can still read the stuff and do my own “research”, can’t I? I wouldn’t say this is done by a specific or exact method, but one widely used method is participant observation. In a real field study of a social group the ethnographer is usually known for what he is and merely observes, while in this case I’m more of a participant, i.e. I think this resembles more observing or creative participation, “which leaves more room for non-materialistic cognition” where “dynamic movements which can not be measured from disconnected or relative viewpoints can be captured by means of feelings”.

So how far into a social group is it justifiable to explore in order to trying to understand it, without risking getting totally absorbed by the culture one is set out to investigate? Guess that in large depends on the ethnographer himself, how mentally strong he (or she) is, but also if there are reliable connections to the outside world, for support and reassurance. I presume some kind of safety line would be a good idea. Like Neo's phone for exiting the Matrix...

There are other movies I could link to here, like Training Day where Denzel Washington's character Alonzo gets so absorbed by the street he's supposed to be watching that he no longer knows which side he belongs to. If you haven't seen this film I strongly recommend it, and therefore I won't spoil the end for you. But let's just say I hope I'll get out sooner than he does...

I presume the risk of getting too involved is higher the more you can identify yourself with the culture you're studying, and that familiar feeling might also be the reason you're choosing that particular society for your survey in the first place. It sort of chooses you. And as me, you might approach this culture feeling intrigued and intimidated at the same time, driven by curiosity.

I confess to sometimes be speaking in an enigmatic way, and I guess this is one of those times. But at this point I won't explain any further, and when/if I do, it'll probably be somewhere else. I just wanted to relieve myself of some of the thoughts I have these days; a way of abstracting myself from what's happening. Letting a little air into the cover.

6 comments:

Toril said...

What can I say, simply a fabulous post - marvelous thinking, reflection and never mind the extraordinary writing!!! You truly need to professionalize your writing skills :)

Karin said...

Thank you, my friend. I just might do that. Right after I'm done with the ongoing research... ;)

Toril said...

I do suspect your ongoing research may take longer than you anticipate ;)

Karin said...

You're probably right, my friend. And there's always something unexpected just around the corner as well. Like today I've been asked (or perhaps I should say "ordered"...) to go shopping, but I'm a little reluctant. I might come by your office one day soon for some counseling, you being a student coordinator at the Faculty of Psychology and everything, on top of being my friend.

Toril said...

As you know, my doors are always open for you :) and we all need some counseling occasionally. However, I must admit I prefer doing the counseling while sipping a large glass of delicious red wine - Italian preferably :)

Karin said...

Exactly my line of thinking; and I reckon we should be enjoying that glass (or more) in a very near future too...