Friday, October 24, 2008

A Taste Of Luxury

Friday night and I'm back where I'm safe; in front of the screen, fingers on the keyboard. I'm starting to understand why some writers live like recluses and show strange eremitical behavior. At least if they feel anything like I do sometimes. I can get to a stage where the written word almost feels more veridical than real life. Reality is too fantastic too be real, or too painful. A dream illusion which you can't have, or a nightmare you wish to wake up from. And sometimes both at the same time... When writing I'm in control, and nothing can hurt me. With words I can do anything, as long as I don't have to step outside for a reality check. OK, "Earth's calling" - enough of this high-flying! Yesterday I went to a happening with my dear Toril, and what a nice evening that turned out to be!

Tom Marthinsen is a well known writer, wine connoisseur and author of wine books, and in conjunction with the launch of his guide to wine tasting he's doing a lecture/wine tasting tour. I'll try to be short here and go straight to the important stuff - the wine. First we were offered a chardonnay from Australia, and reminiscing days gone by I said "Mmmm, just like home". I had no problems picturing myself on a patio Down Under, sipping a glass of white wine at lunch. A chardonnay from the New World is often fresh and laden with tropical flavors of peaches and citrus fruits, and for me it's often been a preferred style. Of course I'd never say no to a nice Chablis but as they're more expensive, I rarely buy them. And then we're only talking about the Petite Chablis, which also was the second wine we got for tasting.

After those two I still thought the Penfolds Koonunga Hill was quite a nice acquaintance, but then came the masterpiece - a Grand Cru Chablis which blew us away. Delicious. Thick-textured yet very refined. Full-bodied and layered with pleasurable flavors, and long on the finish. An open, elegant style, with a juicy structure. Balanced and fine, with depth. And absolutely nothing a student like me can afford. But I just thought it was nice to have tried it, and wasn't thinking I'd have any problems drinking "cheap" wine again. Until Tom told us to have one more sip of the Aussie... We could hear people laugh a little around the tables, 'cause we could all see where he was going; and my sudden vision of having a glass filled with sweet and sticky juice from a can of fruit cocktail was confirmed, as I poured some of it into my mouth... Need I say more?

I just came across this wonderful quote from Franz Werfel, and I thought I'd find a way to intertwine it to the story. I couldn't but I'd like to share it with you anyway, and standing on its own the impression might be even better, leaving it all up to you for interpretation. I'm not saying anything.

"Between too early and too late, there is never more than a moment."

I think it sounds even better in its original language German, so here it is:
"Zwischen zu früh und zu spät liegt immer nur ein Augenblick." (Thanks my friend, for sending it to me.)

But you know me, it's real hard not to say anything, and I do have a few questions as well that could fit in here... ;)

5 comments:

Toril said...

My dear and precious friend, I was looking for the blogpost about our venture yesterday, and was disappointed not to find it. However, you're forgiven as this blogpost is another one of your outstanding posts on this blog. In such a few words you capture the moment, and I'm vastly impressed. I sense future acknowledgement and fame for you - AND I'm not kidding!!!!!

I really want to write more, and I believe I'm very sad and frustrated not to have more time for such a favored activity, which has been a strong part of my life for so many years.....

I really enjoyed our evening together, and certainly one I'll remember and treasure for a long time. As you know, I really didn't enjoy the Chardonnay - I never do - unless, of course, I was in Australian sipping wine for lunch with you :o) Having said that, I have been very tired of the Chablis and Petit Chablis in the past year or so, and have ventured across to other goodies from France and Italy, and they haven't disappointed me!!

Having said that though, I can still sense the exquisite taste of the 2002 Chablis Moutonne - outstanding to say the least! I'm off to eat and drink gourmet style this evening, and I know I'll be introduced to new exquisite wines, and as a result have a lot of new wine yearnings and possibly also have extended my knowledge of wines by Sunday morning!

I strongly recommend we venture back out to another one of these enjoyable events - and SOON :)

Karin said...

Very soon, please!!! I'll be back next week after the funeral in Sweden, how's Thursday the 6th looking for you? But we don't have to decide on that right now, we'll always find the time...

Another scenario I could sense right now, if not the one with fame and fortune, is the old failed and miserable writer of sorts, who pensively drinks her heart out to alleviate the disappointment, while her 40 or so cats slowly take over her house. Which obviously is a small run-down shack far out in the woods.

And by then she can't even afford being hooked up on the internet...

Toril said...

Disappointment, 40 cats, fame and fortune????? I'm curious now, and I certainly hope we could arrange a date on the 6th. I know I have a very busy week as I spend the first half of the week in Sweden (YES) with a bunch of professors, and then home to an entire day meeting on the same day.

However,I could very possibly be quite desperate for a girls' chat by then - so don't make any other arrangements, yet :o)

Karin said...

Deal, I keep the evening open... ;)

(By the way, I followed your recommendation and registered my application before deadline... You'll never know, I might see that one through as well!)

Anonymous said...

Once in a while, when being aware enough, life gives us a hint and changes the way we look at and evaluate life itself. Maybe it even does all the time and it is just us needing special circumstances to grasp them.
So thanks to you, too.

Wonder how a butterfly’s beating wings can cause a storm… :)