Monday, June 15, 2009

Once Bitten Twice Shy?

You know I have a thing for nasty creatures, and now it's time to talk about spiders. They used to freak me out totally. As a kid, a perfectly harmless spider would make me go ballistic, and mum or dad had to rescue me. This was in Sweden too, you know, where there are no dangerous spiders! I managed to get the fear under control as I grew older, but it wasn't until we moved to Australia that I finally took charge of it. And while the best remedy for fear is knowledge, within the first week Down Under I bought a copy of Bert Brunet's Spiderwatch. Didn't take me long to recognize which spiders to look out for, and why.

I haven't lived places inhabited by poisonous spiders for a long time now, but what I learned still sticks. First - most spider bites are the result of defensive behavior. So for example; the Redback spider (from the widow family of spiders) is a quite placid little thing and won't bite until she's absolutely pushed into a corner. Furthermore, you won't probably die from it either. Although her venom is one of the most toxic in the world, it's not that quick. As long as you get your antidote within 48 hours you'll be fine. You'll be real sick and in much pain, that's for sure, but you'll live.

Then there's the vicious White-tail spider. When I first moved Down Under, and read up on the dangers, I found out that although the bite from a White-tail won't kill you, the bite may result in a necrotic wound that would never heal. I think this was the one I dreaded the most. Feared that first sharp pain, and then weeks later developing an ulcerous wound, which would get worse and worse, until the point where the only solution would be an amputation! Due to the White-tail wandering habits he was prone to meet up on your doorstep anytime, while a Redback or any other web-weaving spider didn't stray that much. They much prefer the secure comfort of their homes.

Now as I'm writing this piece it seems my assumptions were wrong. To my defense I must say that I merely shared the view with so many others back than, and this was 10 years ago. Since than, and probably because of all the unverified cases, a scientific study has been made investigating "the circumstances and clinical effects of bites by white-tail spiders". In the Medical Journal of Australia one can read that "White-tail spider bites are very unlikely to cause necrotic ulcers, and other diagnoses must be sought". I made the emphasis here myself, 'cause while I at first was a little disappointed that this report seemed to upset my intentions of a valid metaphor, it might just work anyway. You see, I'm hurt more than I care to admit, and the wound is getting more infected everyday. But maybe it wasn't what he said after all? Maybe I should seek deeper? It might be the result of some underlying, and unresolved issues within myself?

Nah, I stick with the spider story for now. I'm tired of searching for all the answers inside. So, in line with this; there's another spider that actually seem to be able to inflict some serious damage. I introduce - the Brown recluse...

No comments: