Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Art Of Acting

Late nights seem to work wonders for philosophical elaborations. Earlier this evening I got a phonecall from a friend of mine, and we talked about exes, friends and human behaviour in general. The issue here isn't who we discussed, but in some context I said something like "You see, he really isn't all that bad, he just doesn't know how to act. He did in fact use to tell me that his problem was that he thought and felt too much, and to protect himself he chose not to show any emotions at all." Just as I uttered these words it dawned on me that we should never be making excuses for people who don't do the right thing, and get away with it just because they're "good, deep down inside"! Let's put it this way: In my mind I can actually see paintings that haven't been painted yet, and I know that they would be really good if they only were. But they're not, and I certainly don't expect to get credit for a picture in my mind, even less call my self an artist. First I have to bring it to life in oil on canvas. And the music I hear isn't worth a thing to others if it's only in my head, even though the sax and the piano are playing in perfect disharmony. And as not all of us are true artists, not all people have the gift of acting accordingly to their intensions, and therefore shouldn't get acknowledged as an "acting artist" either.

No comments: