Monday, October 22, 2007

Interpretation

I made a little search online, and there were several dream dictionaries available. If you approach this "serioulsy", you know that each symbol can't be interpreted as a single phenomenon, but has to be taken into the interpretation of the whole dream. And I have also learned that not only are the symbols in themselves significant, but maybe even more important are your own feelings and reactions towards the events of the dream.

Cut&Paste from various "Dream Dictionaries", with my own comments:

"Cello: Seeing or hearing a cello in your dream, represents sensual or creative achievements. You are exhibiting much strength and stability." This was from a preceding event in the dream. With me at the top of the stairs there was this aristochratic woman in a quartet, playing the cello.

"Castle: Seeing a castle in your dream means reward, honor, recognition, and praise for your achievements. It foretells that your future will be a happy one, surrounded by the love of your children, generosity of neighbors, and comfort of friends. You are destined to a position of power, wealth, and prestige. Dreaming that you live in a castle means your need for security and protection to the point where you may be isolating yourself from others." So what does it mean then, that I didn't see the castle? It was behind me, and I "knew" it wasn't mine?

"Carriage: To see horses pulling vehicles, denotes wealth with some incumbrance, and love will find obstacles."

"Driveway: Seeing or driving up to a driveway in your dream, symbolizes an end to your journey. It also represents security and rest. Alternatively, it indicates your path toward achieving inner peace finding your spirituality." Sounds good, but taking the emotions into account really does set in another perspective. It clearly wasn't me coming to that end. But boy I wish it was true; security, rest and inner peace.

"Curtains: Dreaming that you are shutting the curtains means secrecy and a repression of thoughts. You are concealing a personal matter or an aspect of yourself. On the other hand, to dream that you are opening the curtains indicates that you are ready to reveal something hidden." The curtains here were something I only observed, I neither shut nor opened any. But something's revealed, that's for sure. A clue might be ...

"The color yellow: Happiness or a positive outlook. To dream about golden yellow can mean you're feeling blessed. Yellow can also represent fear or cowardess." To me, in this case the latter meanings makes more sense. Fear of the unknown, the hidden?

"Garden: A formal garden may symbolize order or symmetry; following the rules."

"Dress: Seeing or wearing a dress in your dream, represents a feminine outlook or feminine perspective on a situation. You are freely expressing your femininity. Dreaming that you are wearing a white dress, suggests that you want to appear pure and angelic toward others." Again, it wasn't me wearing the dress. So it's a wish then?

"Weather: Dreaming about the weather means your emotional state of mind." This is where I get really puzzled. If the following symbolic interpretations are saying something about my mind, I'd be happy. But as I said yesterday, strongest feeling I had while dreaming, was that it wasn't mine. That wonderful day, with sunshine and warmth, didn't belong to me.

"Summer: Dreaming about summer, represents growth, knowledge and maturity. You are showing tolerance and expanding your realm of understanding."

"Sunshine: Dreaming of sunshine indicates that you are experiencing some sort of emotional or situational breakthrough. You are headed on the right track."

"Stairs: Dreaming that you are walking up a flight of stairs indicates that you are achieving a higher level of understanding. You are making progress into your spiritual/emotional/material journey. It also represents material and thoughts that are coming to the surface. Dreaming that you are walking down a flight of stairs, represents your repressed thoughts. It suggests that you are going into your unconscious. It also refers to setbacks that you will experience in your life."

Or could it be that I'm already at the top of the stairs, looking down, and not realizing that the castle is right behind me? I'll just have to turn around for reward, recognition, and praise for my achievements?

Freud would be proud of me...

No comments: