Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Friends & Family

Just got back from another fantastic trip, and I'm sure it'll take some time to get back to reality. Or maybe just fifteen minutes, when the lecturer will be entereing the classroom.

Anyhow, my brother has walked the earth for 50 years now, and very reluctantly decided to throw a party on the occasion. The invitation even implied that he wouldn't attend himself; he would merely open up the bar and let his friends and family get acquainted. When we arrived shortly after seven my brother wasn't there, and I suggested he'd gone to Thailand. If he had, that would be typical him, but as long as the cocktails kept coming and we'd get some food, I just wished him a nice stay in the sun.

But he'd left us a note on the counter. We all read it, and we were dumbstruck! The shortversion of my brother's words:

"I'm not there. Have something to do first. I've had kept a secret for 6 month now which is about to be revealed soon. You have a guess! At 19.20 you're allowed to open up the rest of the note and see if anyone got it right."

The people in the room threw out guesses like mad - "He's cut his hair!" (My brother's had a ponytail for some 8 years now, which has been much discussed.) "He's sold his stamp collection!" (Not likely, but you'll never know) "He's got married" (He's been a bachelor for ever, but why not?) I figured he'd bought a horse, but that was as ridiculous as every other suggestion. 19.20 sharp we impatiently tore up the letter and here's next short version:

"As you're reading this, I'm on my way to the airport to pick up what hopefully is my future wife."

We were all flabbergasted, but at least someone had guessed it. My brother is full of surprises, I knew that, but this one surely took the cake. About ten minutes later he arrived at the party, and everyone turned their heads. "Where is she?"

"Gotcha!"

There he was, with ponytail and no wife. It was all a big joke from his side. But in the end everyone agreed that we love him just the way he is. Ponytail, or not.

No comments: