Friday, February 02, 2007

Human Usability


I've been looking for an opening for my writing quite a while now, somehow it seemed like I had more on my mind that needed to be aired when I was "lower". Although, I hadn't completely gone off writing, it just hasn't been visible here, as most words came out in private letters and mails. (And as any with an interest in literature knows, the genre of The Letter is a rather complex and fascinating one, but also problematic. An illustrating example is the correspondence between Héloïse and Abélard which took place in the Middle Ages. In a rhetorically highly embellished style the love letters also refers to historical events, but they were presumably not meant for the public. However in the years to come they have undoubtedly been regarded as literature, and have been read as such by many people.)

Back to the subject. If there ever was one, I'm not sure.

One of the courses I'm attending this semester is about "User Interface", and that involves a vast amount of disciplines. To understand how people behave, and to know how to design well functioning interfaces we have to study a little bit of both psychology and learning theories among other things. (I might consult you on that later, Toril) This is a very interesting field; practically everything we do is about communication, and in this case with computers or computer based technology. Needless to say perhaps, but this course is mainly about Human Computer Interaction Design, but to explain the concepts of it our lecturer used some metaphors. She's a dog lover and therefor she referred to the dog as an example of a reliable user interface. Sure, there are some seriously messed up dogs around the world, but basically they sound the same, and give the dog a biscuit and he wags his tail. Wagging tail = happy dog. Comforting to know some things are persistent.

What we have to do now for this course is to come up with a prototype for a design, either something new or an improvement for something poorly designed already existent. You'll probably see by now where I'm heading, 'cause with the dog in mind I came to think of something similar, but yet so frustratingly different in its inconsistent behavior. Yes, that's right. The Human. Very much in need of an update in its user interface. Just think about it.

I could go on for pages and fill volumes with this subject, so I'll just leave it up to you to ponder upon it and fill in the blanks. But for starters: Why is a simple hug so difficult to handle for some, while others respond immediately? (Luckily I've found one who is quite good at that...) And a well designed interface would never answer YES when it meant NO. And where's the bloody OK button?

12 comments:

Toril said...

Hey, did you notice the word of the day?? "Pellucid" I love it! I'll get back to all of the other stuff in awhile since we were actually discussing the wonder button yesterday. A very interesting conversation, however; yours is much better and one that I need more time to reflect upon ;)

I assume you have read all about Pavlov and Skinner's dogs, haven't you? Right, stupid of me to think you haven't, but as much as I loath behaviorism there is also A LOT to it, and naturally so since it has become so permeated in our thinking. You may have noticed that it has also governed education for generations - including our generation! Looks like it's loosing its superior dominance now though, although I'm not sure if educators are willing to let go completely...

However, I have optimistic hopes for Norway and Scandinavia as I've seen the changes in primary and secondary school, but to think that France, Italy or England (for example) would change their behavioristic educational system is a little too vain, don't you think??

Nevertheless, remarkable wonders have been known to happen occasionally :)

Karin said...

There's a very interesting feature article in BT today, written by professor Geir Kaufmann. He discusses the dangers of basing education in Economics and Leadership on old presumptions about human behavior, which implies that "the main motive behind peoples actions are narrow self-interests that are pursued in a cynical, amoral way." And this is in Norway too.

So I think introducing philosophy at an early age is fine, but it has to stay with us as well.

Well worth the read.

Toril said...

I quickly read the article this morning, but plan to read it more meticulously this evening. I have academic books written by Geir Kaufman, and both him and his wife are outstanding and respected professors of psychology! However, one book written by him about cognitive psychology is horrid and is better used as kindling for the fireplace. Come to think of it I may be able to read it now that I've spent a longer time immersed in academic books, but somehow I doubt it. I seem to remember that his sentences lasted for entire sections, and I couldn't read it no matter how hard I tried!! Anyways, his wife Astrid Kaufman has taught at NHH, so she should be familiar with the type of students attending an educational institution based on economy and leadership....

Karin said...

Aha, that's probably where he got the inspiration for the article in the first place. I guess they must have fantastic discussions around the dinner table...

Toril said...

Indeed, and I would love to be a fly on the wall in their home ;)

Karin said...

Maybe we should request that for our next lives? Becoming flies, I mean. But only a few, and than we could be humans again. Interesting thought. And also it makes you think twice next time you wanna hit a fly...

Karin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karin said...

By the way, isn't time for you to go home to your darling boyfriend soon? You can't possibly produce much good this late a Friday night, and I'm sure he misses you. You have to take care of yourself in the midst of this thesis madness

Anonymous said...

By the way, before I venture off home to spend a few hours of normal life I thought I better direct your attention to this new blog. Enjoy :)

Karin said...

Pay attention, girl. Synnøve's is already in my link list. Sorry, I'm only teasing you, and that's not nice, especially now when I reckon your nerves are visible from the outside of your body.

Rableriet said...

Ein ny bloggar er født og går med vaklande føter og skjelvande skrift ut på den store bloggscenen... break a leg

Det er godt at eg har erfarne folk rundt meg som kan hjelpe å regissere meg;)

Karin said...

He, he. Bare se på alle feiltrinn jeg har gjort, og så danser du motsatt vei. Eller "repeat after me"; noen ganger må man faktisk lære av å gjøre feilene selv...