Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Puppet On A String

There's a lot of talk about being independent, but I think it could be dangerous to mistake that for trying to do everything by your self.

Ever since I was a child I have had strong opinions about many, if not all, things. But it's not until lately I have been able to understand why, and by that be able to explain how I feel regarding certain matters. By reading all the things I do now, and reflect upon it, I think I'm reaching towards a level where I can argue for my perspective. (At least in my own head, where no one contradicts me...)

Let's say relationships.

You can learn much about the difficulties with keeping a relationship healthy by looking at dancing. Here we're looking at two partners. One leader, one follower. Traditionally it's the man who's leading, but that's not the point here, the point is that it can only be one leader at the time. And even more important, the other who's being led and directed, has to be flexible but firm. You will never see any couple winning a contest where both dancers are trying to push and pull the other around. And you will never see them win if the she is just hanging by his grip as a limp doll. There has to be a resistance.

It's about trust. You have to trust your partner to make the right decisions, and when the dance works you will both be winners.

Now, some may think I'm sounding very old fashioned, arguing for a lifestyle where the man makes all decisions in the household, and the woman just do whatever pleases him. Firstly, in relationship no one says it has to be the man who's leading. Secondly, nothing is wrong with alternating the roles either, taking turns in the leadership. And at last, didn't I just say it was all about trust and resistance? (Think of resistance here not as much as in an underground organization struggling for liberation, as in the definition for Electrical resistance: "The opposition of a body or substance to current passing through it, resulting in a change of electrical energy into heat or another form of energy.")

Can I stretch this even further? Could it be positive to be compared to a marionette? A puppet who's completely motionless and still unless manipulated by someone else's hands? Think about it. If you watch a puppet show, who do you applaud, who do you remember? You get caught up in the play, and the dolls come to life. And the puppeteer wouldn't be anybody without his (or her) dolls. They are dependent on each other.

I don't mind being dependent, as long as the trust isn't misused. Let me perform to my best.

PS. I have a feeling this didn't come out exactly the way I intended, am a little sluggish from dancing around last night... (nice moves, Commander!) So maybe I'll elaborate on this post a little bit more. Not now though, have to catch the bus downtown for todays lecture.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great party yesterday...until we left for garage.Anyways, just wanna say thanks for sharing;)

Karin said...

You're welcome. And I agree, the party was great. It's a good idea to meet outside the classroom, should almost be a voluntary introduction to any course...

Anonymous said...

Dancing good is easy when it is performed with a skilled and devoted partner.
Sorry for the rough moves.

Karin said...

Oh, think I can handle it, and besides - it was nothing wrong with the moves... ;)

And welcome back! Wanna dance?

Anonymous said...

Sure, but I think we have to use an other dance floor.

Karin said...

Just name a day and we'll figure it out somehow!

(And you're calling me cheeky? Not too bad yourself...)