Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crackin' Up

I noticed the crack in my coffeecup a little while ago. A very fine line only noticeble from the inside. This cup was already my favourite, a quite rough colorful outside surface, contrasted with a shiny white inside glaze. The shape was perfectly rounded and the handle comfortable to hold.

At first I really wouldn't belive it, I always tried to be so careful when handling the cup, always made sure it was on top after washing up. I held the cup and cautiously tapped it with my finger, and the dull sound told me the truth; this cup would eventually split into pieces and it was nothing I could do about it.

After this I've treasured the cup even more, it's still my favourite despite its flaw, and I try the best I can to prolong its life. It's kind of sad really, there's no hope for this cup, but I cling to it desperately. Each coffee I pour into the cup makes the crack more visible, darker for every day. The question I keep asking myself is: did I do something wrong? Perhaps not, I'm also told that sometimes the reason for this kind of defect can be traced much further back. There might have been a tension already from beginning, within the cup itself, that made it crack. We'll never know.



This picture is "stolen" from Shiro Otani

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh... the "cup". Made in the earlier days as a work of love that was destined to last for generations. The cup was very beautiful and was great company through thick and thin. Even if the world was out to get you, you could count on the cup to be there and succor you. It had a definate purpose and as long as you took care of the cup in the socially proscribed manner then the cup would last a lifetime. The cup was the physical and well understood symbol representing a solid, reliable relationship that everyone would want to have and keep.

One day the cup broke into pieces caused by an internal flaw that lay hidden and worsened in time to eventially cause the final disintigration of the very fabric of the cup. Or maybe someone hit the cup and caused a crack that eventially would be the cup's doom.

One has to ask oneself, is a solid, reliable, never changing relationship the right one that would be fulfilling and last forever?

Or would a fluid relationship be more rewarding and durable? A fluid relationship is like a brook flowing through a beautiful dell. All is one in the water and no one can see a possibility to separate parts of the water from one another. Although the water flows together each part is able to seek out new levels and energies without parting from the rest. All parts of the water pull together in the same direction. Anyone trying to disrupt or harm the water finds they have no effect as it either goes right through or is carried away by the water. The water may seem tough and durable but it still makes a wonderful tinkling sound as it goes on it's merry way.

Moral of the story?

Solid is brittle. Stay fluid and flexible, enjoy an ever changing and fulfilling relationship.