Thursday, May 11, 2006

Clap Your Hands

I got a comment today where Toril guessed I was happy. And I went thinking again, an innocent remark that made me ask myself: what is happiness exactly? I won't make any attempt in answering that, because it simply cannot be done. What makes someone happy is quite individual. So there won't be an answer, but I can muse over it for a while.

Wikipedia is always a good startingpoint for any topic, so let's see what they have to say about it? To quote: "Happiness is a prolonged or lasting emotional or affective state that feels good or pleasing." Now, already here I encounter the first problem - prolonged. That would mean "for some time" or at least longer than a brief moment. I do have sporadic lapses, or even days when I experience "wellbeing, joy and delight" (Wikipedia again), but a prolonged state of it? No, I wouldn't say so.

I have been happy before, and I think I know what it feels like, even though it's seems like a lifetime ago. I believe happiness is an emotional state you recognize when you're in, but it's harder to explain why. You're simply feeling "happy". Sometimes now I suspect that people think I expect too much, "just consider how bad it could be?", they say and at the same time ask me to count my blessings. I know there's a lot to be grateful for, and I know they're trying their best to make me focus differently. But still, it doesn't make me happy.

A week of sunshine and a temporary contentedness can't be confused with happiness, but maybe I am expecting too much out of life? Manders in Ghosts asked: "To crave for happiness in this world is simply to be possessed by a spirit of revolt. What right have we to happiness?". Personally I think he was a weak man, afraid of life, but there could be something to the question though. Is it a human right to be happy?

I know other cultures and religions where happiness is defined as being balanced. I can relate to that. These last years I have been extremely selfabsorbed, out of necessity, and I have worked very hard to understand myself. I have a strong belief that everybody is responsible for their own part in interpersonal interaction, and that we can only change ourselves, not others. However, if we're doing a good job we might get others to want to change. I think I have changed a lot, and on good days I can feel just like that - balanced. And in that state also kind of invincible, ready to conquer the world. Happy? No, but maybe I only need to redefine my actual conception of the word, like so many other things I have revalued lately?

But I'm like a child, who's standing next to her mother at the checkout counter, screaming redfaced with indignation: "I want, I want, Iwant!!!"

You all remember the childrens song that goes like this "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands..."? I find the lyrics a little confusing, 'cause I think if you're happy you automatically know it too. Difficult to imagine someone over the moon happy, and not being aware of it! I know, I would.

I could now spend the next 40 years reading my way through from Aristotl to Žižek, and along the way I might be able to take part in serious discussions on the topic with fellow scholars. But would that make me happy? Not sure really. I would probably feel satisfied and content if I achieved well, but knowing of something is not the same as experiencing it.

Suddenly I realize that it's quite late, and I have to finish this now. I'm afraid this post may have come out sounding a little bitter or disillusioned. My apologies. Better get some sleep, tommorrow is another day, and I'm bringing some brownies to lunch with the Huminf master students. I'm sure they'll make me laugh, and I believe smiles and laughter will bring me a whole lot closer to happiness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While studying psychology a few years ago, we did touch upon the happy scenario, although I must emphasize that very little investigation has been conducted on the matter. I assume it's either more interesting to investigate depression and misery than to actually discover what makes the human race ecstatically happy....

I realize that it's important to find a treatment for depressions, and especially for those who suffer from manic depressions, but wouldn't it make more sense if we discovered what made us smile and laugh - never mind the feeling of such utter happiness that you feel like hugging every person you pass on the street!!!

Being in love make us immensely happy (that is if the love is mutual) - and some experts call it a type of madness; on the same level as someone who has gone off the deep end! I know all about that one, cannot be explained - just completely unreliable and scatterbrained from ecstatic happiness.

Another happiness is the one you get after having given birth; the postnatal period. The joy of motherhood completely fogs your mind, and you enter a delightful world filled with sheer happiness. You forget about the rest of the world, it's just you and the baby. Although it's a known fact that some women suffer from postnatal depression, which must be awful!!

There are other happiness issues that I could touch upon, but I don't think the happiness you feel after having bought a nice outfit is true happiness. On second thought, I think it may be happiness, but it's not very deep, and it certainly doesn't last very long. Don't you agree???

I have also noticed that the feeling of utter happiness is more often than not followed by a slight depression. I find that odd, and truly should be investigated. Why is life so complicated? Why can't we just be happy all the time? Would that be too exhausting?

An interesting issue to investigate, indeed. We ought to discuss the matter over a glass of wine or tree - should we say May 16??

On second thought, I think it's time for that Irish Coffee, don't you agree?????

Karin said...

First things first; I'd love some more or less intelligent conversation over a few Irish Coffee on the 16th! I think I need it as well.

I agree, the focus tends to be on the negative rather than what makes us happy. Could that have to do with the fact that a depressing situation often triggers something within ourselves that wants us to know why? When we're happy we don't have that need for explanations. Sort of - it works, don't mess with it...

Probably not a coincidence that so many of our greatest minds and thinkers were not particularly festive people.

Anonymous said...

Not festive to say the least :( In addition, many of them suffered from several nervous breakdowns, or other serious mental illnesses. Which, naturally, makes me ecstatically happy that I'm normal. I'd rather struggle to get a good degree, than forcing down that Prozac continuously!!!

Much better to study hard, and then celebrate with the occasional gin and tonic, or Irish Coffee. I expect you'll show up for one this evening på Vågen!!!!

The sun is shining, so we need to enjoy the last bit of sun before the rain arrives tomorrow!

Karin said...

Thanks for the champagne, programming is even funnier now. I often think I'd start out a new career as an alcoholic, everything seems sooo easy.

See you tonight, then!