Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Extreme Associations

I had a most nauseating experience yesterday while reading the news. If one were to describe a tragedy this must be as close you can get: A house is on fire, the people inside manage to get out, but the 6-year-old daughter doesn't know her mom is safe and runs back into the fire to find her. She never returns outside. No more needs to be said, this truly is a tragedy.

But what really made me sick, was that at the same time I was reading, I also made a involuntary connection between these awful news and Extreme Makeover - Home Edition, and I already pictured this tormented family in a future show. Accompanied by mushy guitarplaying in the back of my head, the idea popped up before I could stop it. I guess it just shows how much real life and fiction are intertwined, and that someone elses disaster could be exploited for entertaning you and me.

But as always I'm ambivalent, this is not an easy "Black or White" discussion, and I don't intend to go further into the subject right now. Just another a reflection...

No comments: